Tick Removers

A tick is a spider-like arthropod parasite. It feeds on the blood of animals and people. A tick can transmit viruses, bacteria, parasites and even poison while sucking blood. Borrelia burgdorferi, the cause of Lyme disease, is the most well-known and dangerous bacterium that may be present in a tick. This disease can eventually lead to various health complaints. A red ring around the bite area may be one of the first symptoms of Lyme disease.

Ticks live in gardens, dunes, meadows and woodland. Be sure to check for ticks after spending time outdoors. To minimise the risk of infection, ensure that the tick is removed within eight hours. Do not anesthetize the tick with alcohol or other antiseptics and do not heat the tick with a cigarette or other hot objects. If the tick is stunned or heated (with a cigarette), it goes into shock and responds by releasing pathogens into the body through its saliva. A good tick remover will help prevent the tick from passing on harmful bacteria in its saliva.

Once the tick has been removed you can disinfect the area with alcohol. Make sure to write down the date of the tick bite, the site of the bite on your body, and the area where you contracted the tick bite.